Shhhh don’t wake her — she is dreaming of the day the world is 100 percent kind to opossums. I’ll thank you for her. She says thank you for helping us in our journey to make the world safe for her kind. There are so many myths about opossums.
Let’s clear a few of them up:
1) We are NOT rodents (our teeth don’t continue to grow and we have pouches).
2) We are North America’s ONLY marsupial.
3) We are a sacred animal to First Nations, who call us Si’Qua (or Smile pigs).
4) We rarely carry rabies, as our body temperature is generally too low to sustain the virus to incubation.
5) We have the memory of primates when it comes to remembering where food and shelter are.